Given that the average person spends about twenty-two years of their life asleep, the Feng Shui of the bedroom has an enormous effect on the harmony of the home, on its well being, and on the finances of the household. It is considered to be the most important room in the home because it represents the foundations of the family. The positioning of bedroom furniture, the placement of decorative objects and the balance of Yin and Yang are all very important. In bedrooms the Yin energy should prevail as this suggests calmness and quiet and creates an environment that is ideal for rest, recuperation, relaxation and even some romance.
It is ideal to keep the bedroom clean, tidy and free of clutter. This includes having neat wardrobes as any clutter in wardrobes is still clutter. Also, do not have things under the bed as Qi can stagnate there and the body can store this negative Qi while you sleep over this energy at night.
Lighting should be soft and ambient. Instead of using ceiling lights, lamps create more gentle lighting and better ambiance in the room. However, keep the lamps at least 1.5 to 2 meters from the bed and unplug them before you go to sleep at night.
Do not place real plants in a bedroom as they release carbon dioxide at night, which is when you will be sleeping in the room. However, you can use silk flowers or other artificial plants in the room.
Check what is on the other side of the wall that your bedhead is against. If is happens to be the electrical box or television then this could be posing some health issues.
There are also some general tips below:
- The bed head should be against a solid wall. This will provide you with a sense of support & security when sleeping
- You should be able to see the whole room while lying in bed
- Avoid placing the foot of the bed in direct alignment with the door as this is the coffin position
- If the bedroom or bathroom door can be seen from the front door it can turn the energy yin. This may make the occupants lack motivation and feel fatigued and lazy.
- Your bed should not be located under an exposed beam
- Avoid mirrors as they are harmful to relationships especially if they are directly opposite the bed. Remove them or cover them over while sleeping
- Avoid clutter as Qi should flow easily through the room. It is particularly important that you do not store anything under the bed
Bedrooms in the East are said to be auspicious as they catch the rising sun. This entices the occupants to get up & make something of their lives
- Red candles in the South west (relationship) sector of the room are a romantic feature which will encourage intimacy amongst a couple. (never leave them unattended)