Don’t go barking mad in 2018 – understanding what to expect and preparing yourself for it is key to a smooth year and can also prepare your house to sell.
This article will give you some insights into the coming year and preparing your house to sell using Feng Shui does differ from the information below but luckily this is a service Wiggins Keenan conduct for no additional fee.
2018 is the Year of the Earth Dog! The Chinese calendar is based on the movement of the sun (solar) and the 4 seasons NOT the moon (lunar) as many incorrectly think. Therefore the start of the Year of the Dog is not when the Chinese celebrate the lunar New Year on 16th February, 2018. The year actually begins on 4th February 2018 and goes until 3rd February 2019.
Feng Shui energies change from year to year. Invisible energies exist in our environment and they can be positive and enhance well-being and prosperity, or they can be negative and cause bad health and misfortune. These energies are dynamic and change over time in a cyclical manner, so in order to ensure that things remain harmonious for your home it is necessary to locate the negative ‘annual’ energies or ‘Flying Stars’ at the beginning of every Chinese New Year. We can then apply cures (including colours related to the five elements of Wood, Water, Fire, Earth and Metal) to minimise their effects. Therefore, it is necessary to watch for the re-allocation of positive and negative energies at the beginning of each year, so that we can take necessary precautions when the negative energy happens to arrive at important locations of your premises, especially your entrance, main living area, kitchen or bedroom.
The first thing I recommend is to have a good clean out. I love when council pickups are planned as they really help you to cleanse and it can be an extremely cathartic process. Just start with something small, a drawer, cupboard, wardrobe, etc. If you haven’t used it in 2 years either donate it, sell it or throw it! Trust me you feel lighter in the process.
Some basic Feng Shui principles when selling or staying are:
- HOUSE AND GARDEN
- Remove all rubbish, clutter and bad smells from each room in the house and garden as this leads to blockages.
- Throw out unwanted goods, as this suggests you are holding on to the past.
- Fix flaking paint as this suggests tiredness.
- Fix damaged, spouting roof tiles or window seals if they or any part of the house looks rundown as this represents a gradual decline in health.
- Repair leaky taps as this suggests gradual loss of income.
- Healthy plants, fresh flowers, nice smells (aromatherapy) and good music attract good energy and lift your spirits.
- Keep the garden beautiful to entice opportunities to come into one’s life. Also keep it free from clutter as this signifies worry and prevents one from being focused.
- Maintain a good supply of fresh air by opening windows and allowing the air to circulate.
- Avoid sleeping near electrical equipment as the electrical fields they emit are potentially harmful to your health
- THE ENTRNACE
- The energy coming through the door is the single most important factor that will determine how prosperous the occupants will be
- The location of the door with regards to the sectors of the home, indicate a priority to the occupants, therefore a person who has their front door located in the North sector, suggests that their career is very important to the occupants
- Make sure there is nothing in direct alignment with the door such as a tree or telegraph pole. To remedy this place a Bagua mirror over the door so it is reflecting the Sha Qi
- The path to the front door should be wide & spacious & well lit. Curved windy paths leading to the main entrance are auspicious
- A beautiful picture placed on the wall opposite the main door is used to encourage energy into the home & therefore opportunities to come into your life
- Your main door should always open inwards into a wide space to invite the Qi & therefore opportunities into ones life
- Place two wide leaved plants next to the main door to help entice the energy in such as peace lily or fiddle leaf fig
- Avoid facing a dark, pokey room, an interior staircase, mirror, stove, sink, fireplace, the door of a toilet, laundry, bathroom or bedroom. To remedy this keep the doors closed or place a screen between the doors
- THE KITCHEN
- The stove is the most important part of the kitchen and it is imperative it is in good working order as this symbolises wealth to many families
- Ensure any knives are placed away in drawers – never on show. Worse case scenario is place them in a wooden block
- The kitchen should be kept spotless, make sure drains are cleaned regularly and sinks disinfected. It is considered one of the most important rooms in Feng Shui second to the master bedroom.
- Keep rubbish and recycling containers out of sight. This type of rubbish does not signify health and prosperity! I used a bin in a drawer – best thing I have invested in
- Do not clutter your kitchen work tops, causing frustration and inhibiting the cook’s ability to prepare food and this negative energy it creates can be stored in the food. Keep all surfaces clear, storing all food and kitchen appliances not used on a daily basis should be kept out of sight.
- Pay attention to your oven and cooktop. The food created on a cooktop is meant to nourish you, affecting your ability to work and earn money, and the Qi of your cooking area will affect your meal. Keep the ovens and cooktops spotlessly clean
- Make sure taps do not leak as this signifies leaking money out of the house
- MAIN BEDROOM
- The bed head should be against a solid wall. This will provide you with a sense of support & security when sleeping
- You should be able to see the whole room while lying in bed
- Avoid placing the foot of the bed in direct alignment with the door as this is the coffin position
- If the bedroom or bathroom door can be seen from the front door it can turn the energy yin. This may make the occupants lack motivation and feel fatigued and lazy.
- Your bed should not be located under an exposed beam
- Avoid mirrors as they are harmful to relationships especially if they are directly opposite the bed. Remove them or cover them over while sleeping
- Avoid clutter as Qi should flow easily through the room. It is particularly important that you do not store anything under the bed
- Bedrooms in the East are said to be auspicious as they catch the rising sun. This entices the occupants to get up & make something of their lives
- Red candles in the South west (relationship) sector of the room are a romantic feature which will encourage intimacy amongst a couple. (never leave them unattended
Specifically for 2018 I would recommend remedying a few sectors of the house.
NORTH SECTOR – Unfortunately the energy here can be challenging so if you are sleeping or your front entrance falls in the North I recommend using at least one of the following remedies:
WEST SECTOR – This area can signify sickness so to help agrmonise this energy I recommend at least one of the following remedies: